Evidence Behind Health Benefits
Thank you for watching the YouTube video about the evidence behind health benefits of Matcha.
The following four studies are the ones mentioned in the video. Those studies were done on the Matcha form of green tea specifically.
- Matcha Green Tea Drinks Enhance Fat Oxidation During Brisk Walking in Females. Published in January 2018 in the "International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism". [PubMed]
- An intervention study on the effect of matcha tea, in drink and snack bar formats, on mood and cognitive performance. Published in September 2017 in the "Food Research International". [PubMed]
- The effects of the aqueous extract and residue of Matcha on the antioxidant status and lipid and glucose levels in mice fed a high-fat diet. Published in January 2017 in the "Food and Function Journal". [PubMed]
- Matcha, a powdered green tea, ameliorates the progression of renal and hepatic damage in type 2 diabetic OLETF rats. Published in August 2009 in the "Journal of Medicinal Food". [PubMed]
The following presumed benefits of Matcha were based on studies done on regular green tea (not green tea in the Matcha form), and studies done on compounds that Matcha is rich with.
1- Anticancer activity. Matcha is rich with Catetchins, including EGCG. Catetchins have antioxidant activity that protect from the harmful free radicals. Catetchins in tea have also been shown to inhibit tumor cell proliferation cell proliferation and induce apoptosis in laboratory and animal studies. and they may also protect against damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) B radiation. Please check the following publications:
- Bioavailability and antioxidant activity of tea flavanols after consumption of green tea, black tea, or a green tea extract supplement. [PubMed]
- Catechin and caffeine content of green tea dietary supplements and correlation with antioxidant capacity. [PubMed]
- Mechanisms of cancer prevention by tea constituents. [PubMed]
- Cutaneous photoprotection from ultraviolet injury by green tea polyphenols. [PubMed]
- Green tea and anticancer perspectives: updates from last decade. [PubMed]
2- Protection from cardiovascular disease. Please check the following publications:
- Green Tea Catechins and Cardiovascular Health: An Update. [PubMed]
- Studies on prevention of obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and cancer by tea. [PubMed]
3- Skin protection. Please check the following publications:
- Skin Protective Effect of Epigallocatechin Gallate. [PubMed]
- Green tea in dermatology--myths and facts. [PubMed]
- Green tea in dermatology. [PubMed]