We know, we know. You came looking for a healthier holiday cookie recipe. Well, we decided we all needed to live a little and have a cheat day. And what better way to cheat on your diet than some sweet and spiced cookies! Perfect for the winter holidays (or any time really these things are killer), it'll be the hit of any potluck or family dinner.
Here’s what you need:
Chewy Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp chai spice
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Topping- for dipping
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp chai spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or baking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 1 minute). Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract, then beat* until combined.
- Add in flour, chai spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl every now and again.
- In a separate bowl, mix the topping sugar and chai spice.
- Make the dough into 1 tbsp balls and roll in the sugar and chai spice mixture.
- Place on baking sheet, about 2" apart. Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until cookies have set.
- Allow to cool.
*if you don't have a stand/hand mixer, a fork works fine!
If you want the cookies to be even sweeter, change out the sugar and chai spice mixture for icing with chai spice sprinkled on top!
Another way to make these cookies is to just buy a box sugar cookie mix and add in 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of our chai spice mix! (we don't judge)